The only way to achieve mastery is through practice. If students practice for 15 days a month they earn a 100% for this part of their math grade. The following are some ways that I've practiced math facts with my own children:
- Quiz them in the car on the way to ball practice or grandma's house
- Skillstutor - math fact practice
- Flash cards races with a sibling
- Play addition, subtraction, or mulitiplication war - You both flip two cards, add, subtract, or mulitply the numbers and the greater number wins. (Jacks 11, Queens 12, Kings 0)
- Addition,subtraction, mulitiplication bingo (Found at Creative Curriculum)
- Computer games or websites
Please help your child to become more successful in this area. The students that consistently practice are the same students that achieve well on their timed tests. Knowing the facts really helps a child with some of the higher level math skills that he/she will be learning.
Students receive Math Money for each timed test that they pass. We have a math sale to purchase all kinds of goodies with the money they earn from practicing their facts. Second grade holds a math sale three times a year. Students are responsible for putting their math money in a safe place until our sale is held.